What is Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy?
During sleeve gastrectomy, the stomach is stapled and divided vertically. This procedure requires specially designed surgical staplers, using the keyhole or laparoscopic method. By doing this, about 2/3 or 60% of the stomach will be removed. The remaining stomach is now in the shape of a long narrow tube resembling a shirt sleeve.
The much smaller size of the stomach restricts the amount of food the stomach can hold at a time.
The appetite for food is also reduced.
Why Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy?
The results of this procedure are very good. About 60% of excess weight will be lost over one or two years. More importantly, this can be maintained for at least five to ten years with close-followup with the doctor. Complications such as leak of the staple line or bleeding are very low.
What to expect?
Before the procedure
- A gastroscopy is done to ensure the stomach does not have any disease.
- A full medical work-up including an ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder is done.
- Fasting is required 8 hours prior to your procedure.
- All regular medications will be stopped unless absolutely necessary under a doctors supervision.
- Be prepared to have an average hospital stay following the procedure in between 2-3 days.
On the day of the procedure
- The procedure does involve stapling of the stomach. There will be 5 very small wounds to complete
the laparoscopic or keyhole procedure.
- Your surgeon will advise you on the specific details.
After the procedure
- This procedure is not reversible.
- You will be allowed to drink fluids and eat within the next 24 hours. However, allow your appetite to guide you. Fluid diet is required for the first week.
- If you experience nausea, stay with clear liquids until it resolves.
- Resume your normal diet after about a week and after the first review with your doctor.
- The amount of food consumed will be small and has to be taken slowly.
- Your doctor will advise on the type of food to be consumed, and encourage you to embark on an
exercise regime after a month.