What is Colonoscopy?
A colonoscopy investigates the large intestine together with the rectum and anus. It is done using a camera mounted at the end of a thin flexible tube. Samples of the large intestine can be taken for tests if there are any growths or unusual findings.
Should I go for Colonoscopy?
A colonoscopy is recommended if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Pain in the lower abdomen / cramps
- Lumps in the stomach
- Blood in stools
- Change in toilet habits (e.g. Constipation, watery or thin stools)
- You are above 40 years of age with a family history of cancer/stomach ailments.
Why is a regular Colonoscopy important?
Colorectal cancer is the most common form of cancer in Singapore affecting both males and females. It is also one of the more preventable forms of cancer – most colorectal cancer develops from colon or rectal polyps. These small growths may increase in size and turn cancerous over time. Colon polyps usually have no symptoms.
A colonoscopy is the best form of prevention because it detects and removes the polyps. Prevention beats cure.
What to expect?
Before the scope
- The bowel is cleared with a small volume of liquid medication and water.
- This is done the day before the procedure.
- Stop any prescription of aspirin or other blood thinning medications with a doctors advice.
- Fasting from food and drinks a few hours before the procedure.
On the day of the scope
- The procedure can be done as a day surgery.
- You will be sedated during the painless procedure.
After the scope
- It will take about an hour for you to be fully awake.
- You will be allowed to eat after the scope.
- Please make sure that a next-of-kin/friend accompanies you home.
Schedule a consult with our doctor Dr Ganesh Ramalingam
The information provided on this website is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this website is for general information purposes only. G & L Surgical makes no representation and assumes no responsibility if the information, contained on or available through this website, is taken without our specialists’ consult.