What is Colonoscopy?
A colonoscopy investigates the large intestine together with the rectum and anus. It is done using a camera mounted at the end of a thin flexible tube. Samples of the large intestine can be taken for tests if there are any growths or unusual findings.
Should I go for Colonoscopy?
A colonoscopy is recommended if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Pain in the lower abdomen / cramps
- Lumps in the stomach
- Blood in stools
- Change in toilet habits (e.g. Constipation, watery or thin stools)
- You are above 40 years of age with a family history of cancer/stomach ailments.
Why is a regular Colonoscopy important?
Colorectal cancer is the most common form of cancer in Singapore affecting both males and females. It is also one of the more preventable forms of cancer – most colorectal cancer develops from colon or rectal polyps. These small growths may increase in size and turn cancerous over time. Colon polyps usually have no symptoms.
A colonoscopy is the best form of prevention because it detects and removes the polyps. Prevention beats cure.
What to expect?
Before the scope
- The bowel is cleared with a small volume of liquid medication and water.
- This is done the day before the procedure.
- Stop any prescription of aspirin or other blood thinning medications with a doctors advice.
- Fasting from food and drinks a few hours before the procedure.
On the day of the scope
- The procedure can be done as a day surgery.
- You will be sedated during the painless procedure.
After the scope
- It will take about an hour for you to be fully awake.
- You will be allowed to eat after the scope.
- Please make sure that a next-of-kin/friend accompanies you home.
Schedule a consult with our doctor Dr Ganesh Ramalingam
For a rough estimation of how much your hospital fees and charges may amount to with Mount Elizabeth Novena, you can visit this hospital bill estimator.
The information provided on this website is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this website is for general information purposes only. G & L Surgical makes no representation and assumes no responsibility if the information, contained on or available through this website, is taken without our specialists’ consult.