What is Appendicitis Surgery & How Is It Treated in Singapore?
Appendicitis is common condition which is caused by an infection of the appendix. It can cause pain at the lower right side of the abdomen. Treatment is with intravenous antibiotics and surgery for removal of the appendix at a local specialist clinic in Singapore. Appendix surgery at G & L Surgical, a leading surgical clinic in Singapore, is commonly done with the keyhole or laparoscopic technique.
What is Appendicitis?
Appendicitis is a medical condition which involves pain and inflammation of the appendix – which is 3.5-inch tube of tissue which sits in the lower right abdomen.
Appendicitis can affect anybody, but it commonly occurs in individuals between 10 and 30 years old. However, the signs and symptoms do not always follow a simple pattern. If the appendix gives way, pus and infected material will leak into the whole abdomen. This can cause an infection of the abdominal cavity known as peritonitis, a life-threatening infection, which may require urgent appendicitis treatment at a surgical clinic in Singapore to prevent further infection of health complications.
Some early symptoms of Appendicitis include dull or sharp pain at the lower abdomen, painful urination, severe stomach cramps, vomiting and constipation.
What To expect From Appendicitis Surgery in Singapore?
If you have to undergo appendicitis surgery, make sure you are aware of the procedure so that you know what to expect on the day of your surgery. Learn from the team at G & L Surgical in Singapore about the procedures of the treatment.
Before your Appendectomy procedure in Singapore
- Stop all food and drinks when experiencing pain and immediately seek a doctor’s opinion
- All regular medications will be stopped unless absolutely necessary under a doctor’s supervision.
- If appendicitis is suspected, you will be admitted and kept on fast.
- You will be started on intravenous fluid and antibiotics.
- A CT scan may be required for diagnosis. However, most of the time diagnosis is confirmed with a history and physical examination (clinical).
On the day of your appendicitis treatment procedure in Singapore
- The appendix is usually removed with the keyhole technique.
- If caught early, the surgery is straightforward and you may be discharged in 24 hours. However, the length of stay and recovery from the procedure depends on the patient and severity of the appendicitis and scope of the appendicectomy treatment.
- Your surgeon will advise you on the specific details.
After your appendicectomy procedure in Singapore
- You may be allowed to drink fluids and eat within the next 24 hours. However, allow your appetite to guide you. Do not force food.
It is highly critical to manage and treat appendicitis at its early stage of development in order to prevent further health complications. If you need appendicitis surgery in Singapore, contact us for your options and learn more about the treatments.
Schedule a consult with our doctor Dr Ganesh Ramalingam
The information provided on this website is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this website is for general information purposes only. G & L Surgical makes no representation and assumes no responsibility if the information, contained on or available through this website, is taken without our specialists’ consult.