What is laparoscopic hernia repair?
G & L Surgery provide advanced hernia repair surgery in Singapore. Our surgeon does both open hernia repair surgery and laparoscopic umbilical hernia repair.
In open hernia repair, the surgeon makes an incision into your groin and pushes the protruding abdominal tissue back into your abdomen. This repairs the abdominal wall defect. In laparoscopic hernia, the surgeon uses a few short incisions instead of a single long incision.
Why choose us for your Hernia Repair Surgery?
In this minimally invasive procedure, patients might experience less discomfort and scarring after hernia surgery and can engage in normal activities more quickly. Laparoscopic hernia repair may be preferable if you want a shorter recovery time. It has proven to be highly effective with more than 90 per cent of hernias not coming back after a laparoscopic surgery.
What to expect?
Before your procedure
- Fasting is required 8 hours prior to your hernia surgery.
- You will be asked to empty your bladder immediately before the hernia treatment.
- Stop medications a week prior to the hernia repair operation.
- Refrain from smoking and consuming alcohol.
On the day of your procedure
- The hernia repair procedure involves placing a mesh over the abdominal defect to reinforce the abdominal wall.
- There will be 3 to 5 small cuts to complete the laparoscopic or keyhole procedure.
- Your surgeon will advise you on the specific details.
After your hernia repair procedure
- You will be discharged the next day.
- Most patients are able to return to normal activities after 3 to 7 days.
- The typical recovery after a laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair may involve mild to moderate incisional pain and mild groin discomfort. This may last from 2 to 14 days, but is almost always gone within 3 weeks after surgery.
- Follow up with your surgeon within 2 weeks post-surgery.
- While the recovery from a laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair is very fast, do allow yourself up to 3 weeks to feel completely normal again.
Organise a consultation with our surgeons for further assistance on hernia treatments in Singapore.